Welcome to Year 3
Hello Year 3,
If you are currently having to stay at home, please find below our Maths and English learning (attached as PowerPoint slides). Please start from where you finished in school.
Please note that green slides are guided teaching, yellow slides are reasoning, blue sildes are independent work and purple slides are for reflections or recaps.
You can continue to work on your homework grid tasks for our foundation lessons and as always practice this weeks spellings, daily reading and times table practice.
Our first topic in year 3 is going to be about the Extraordinary Egyptians. We will be carrying out our own research and learning lots of fun facts about the Early Civilisation of Ancient Egypt. We will also be designing and making our own Egyptian collars and learning about the land use and climate of modern Egypt.
In year 3 we will be learning Spanish and our first term will be about introductions and greetings.
In RE we will be exploring Christianity through looking at people’s beliefs, symbols and questions that we have.
For term one the focus for our English lessons will be around using our knowledge of Ancient Egypt to write a detailed setting description. We will also be writing an instructional text about how to mummify an orange and creating a non-fiction leaflet about Ancient Egypt. The skills that we will be developing this term will be:
· Using simple and compound sentences.
· Adding adverbs to describe and add detail to our sentences.
· Using imaginative adjectives by considering synonyms.
· Using the forms ‘a’ or ‘an’ according to whether the next word begins with a consonant or vowel.
· Discussing words and phrases that capture the reader’s interest and imagination.
· Discussing writing similar to what we are planning in order to understand and learn from its structure, vocabulary and grammar.
· Increasing the legibility, consistency and quality of our handwriting.
In maths, we will be continuing our learning of number, place value and addition and subtraction. The skills that we will be developing this term will be:
· Extending our knowledge of place value to look at numbers with 3-digits (hundreds, tens and ones).
· Using our knowledge of addition facts to problem solve complements to 100.
· Connecting our knowledge of known strategies for addition and subtraction across the tens boundary to help us to count and calculate across the hundred’s boundary in multiples of ten.
· Extending familiar counting sequences up to 1000 including counting forwards and backwards in different multiples.
We will be using Times Tables Rock Stars to develop fluency of our times tables. This will form part of our weekly homework.
|Leaflet writing||07th Oct 2020||Download|
|1.17 Composition and calculation 100 and bridging 100||07th Oct 2020||Download|