Welcome to Year 5
Please see attached powerpoints and homework to support you with home learning if your child is at home ill.
Our first topic in year 5 is going to be about Space with an art link focusing on Vinvcent Van Gogh's 'The Starry Night'. The children will be using a canvas to create their own version of this famous painting by the end of the term.
We will be asking questions and carrying out our own research in order to find answers. We will be learning about our Solar System and understand why we have night and day. We will be learning more about Earth through Geography lessons. WE will also be thinking about CAMS mechanisms in D&T this term.
In year 5 we will be learning Spanish and our first term will be about 'Mi familia i yo' which means 'My family and I'. We will be learning different vocabulary that links to this subject.
In RE we will be exploring celebrations that aere celebrated within our local community.
For term one the focus for our English lessons will be around consolodating our understanding of simple, compound and complex sentences are built and the different parts they need to make sense. We will be writing a setting description, biography, newspaperarticle and poetry. The skills that we will be developing this term will be:
- Write legible, fluently and with increasing speed.
- A mixture of simple, complex and compound sentences is used to extend meaning and add variety and interest, taking into account audience and purpose for writing.
- Uses similies and personification to engage the reader.
- Nouns and noun phrases modified by preposition phrases to expand and develop ideas, information and description.
- Appropriate use of direct and reported speech.
- Using coordinating and subordinating conjunctions.
In maths, we will be continuing our learning of number, place value and addition and subtraction. We will be working hard to imprtove out reasoning skills and this will include both written and verbal answers with clear explanations using mathematical vocabulary. The skills that we will be developing this term will be:
- Reading and writing of numbers up to 1 million.
- Rounding to the nearest hundred thousand.
- Place value and partitioning.
- Reading and placing numbers on labelled and unlabelled number lines.
- Solving problems involving all of the above.